A cold rainy Sunday plus old black bananas can only mean one thing. Mum’s making Banana Bread! The very Banana Bread that is SO DAMN DELICIOUS, as a child Dinner Ladies would demand I bring extra into school for them.
Unfortunately, I don’t live with my Mum anymore so her Banana Bread is not so accessible for me. This left me with no choice but to badger her for the recipe!
Excellent! Cup measurements rarely work out for me, so here’s my translation:
- 150g Demerara Brown Sugar
- 75g of good butter
- 150g of squishy dark bananas
- 1 egg
- 60ml milk
- 3-4 tablespoons of condensed milk
- 250g of self-raising flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
And here’s how it went…
1. Pre-heat oven to 170. Grease a bread tin with plenty of butter and keep in the fridge.
2. In a small bowl, mash up your bananas with your brown sugar
3. In a big mixing bowl, chuck your egg, butter, milk and your sugarbananamash, and beat together
4. Add you condensed milk, fold in
5. Add flour, mix with vigour!
6. Add your bicarb and baking powder. Now get a hand held blender and blend for about a minute- it’s pretty thick, hope your blender is up to it!
7. Now get your loaf tin and pour the mix in. I topped it with some Banana Chips and a little extra brown sugar, hoping for a caramel look!
To check if it’s cooked, poke a knife in and take it out. If it has no goop on it, your Banana Bread is done! Mine took exactly one hour.