Banana, Toffee and Walnut Scones
I realise I’m going through a bit of a scone obsession recently, but then I am a Brit and I do love a treat. This was another recipe born from a need to use bananas that were about to go off, but WOW did it work out well! The parents did come sniffing around while they cooked and inhaled a few, but as we’re all trying to be healthy I took the rest in to work the following day- they didn’t survive the morning.
Want to make your colleagues this happy? Here’s how…
- Two ripe bananas
- A generous handful of dairy toffee. I bought a 200g bag and used 11.
- A good handful of walnuts. Again, vague on the measurements here. Wine was flowing. Let’s say… 75g.
- 350g of self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 85g of butter
- 200ml of milk (please see recipe before measuring this out- there’s a catch)
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- A squeeze of lemon juice
Noticed there’s no sugar? There’s more than enough in the toffees!!
Let’s make magic
1. Pre-heat oven to 220. As with your Strawberry and Banana Breakfast Scones, smush the banana up in a bowl then add it to a measuring jug. Then fill the jug with milk to the 200ml level. Stir.
2. In a large bowl, measure out your flour and baking powder. Combine, then rub in the butter with your fingers.
3. Patiently slice up your toffee pieces reasonably thin, then add to the bowl along with the walnuts and combine the ingredients.
4. Pop your milk in the microwave for 30 seconds. When it comes out, splosh in your lemon juice and vanilla extract and leave for a few minutes.
5. While you’re waiting, put a baking sheet in the oven to get hot.
6. Make a well in the bowl of toffeewalnutbutterflour mix, add your milky banana then combine vigorously using a butter knife.
7. Dredge out onto a floured surfaced, pat down into a round. Fetch the baking tray, cut scones from the dough. Add to your baking sheet (don’t forget grease proof paper!) and bake for 10 minutes.
One thought on “Nothing wrong with a bit of naughtiness now and then…”
These are LOVELY!